The name of the site evolved during the Early Middle Ages, from St Andrew Holburnestrate to St Andrew de Holeburn. There is also a medieval spring in the crypt, which emanates from the river Fleet and the Bourne. Unfortunately the spring is not generally open to the public.
In 1348 a local armourer called John Thavie “left a considerable Estate towards the support of the fabric forever”. It is his legacy, preserved during the Reformation, invested carefully through the centuries, that provides for the upkeep of the church today.
The wooden church of AD 951 was replaced by a medieval stone one in the 15th Century, which can only be seen inside the tower.